Dangers of Car Accidents on I-76 in Colorado
Colorado’s Interstate 76 helps connect commercial and industrial drivers to the rest of the United States. The interstate stretches roughly 184 miles, allowing road users to travel from Denver to Nebraska. It connects to I-80 and I-70, making it a useful route for construction machines, landscaping vehicles, and semi-trucks. This highway has a large concentration of commercial vehicles that can cause serious injuries when a crash happens.
Serious car accidents are common because of the types of vehicles that use I-76. Hazardous materials spills can lead to several-car pileups that cause severe or fatal injuries. CBS 4 News reports accidents causing fires and semi-truck rollovers. If you were hurt in a car accident on I-76 in Colorado, the chances are that it was a serious crash. The lawyers at Cook, Bradford & Levy, LLC, can help you pursue justice. Call (303) 543-1000 for a free consultation.What Kind of Car Accidents Occur on I-76 in Colorado?
The Denver Post reports that 672 people died in Colorado traffic accidents in 2021. Many of these accidents can be attributed to the state’s most dangerous roads, including I-25 in Douglas County, U.S. 550 in southwest Colorado, and I-76 through northeast Colorado.
Common types of accidents that occur on I-76 include:
- Rollover accidents
- Accidents causing spilled cargo
- Drunk driving accidents
- Distracted driving collisions
If you suffered injuries in any accident on I-76, you may consider working with our car accident attorneys. They can build your case and help you seek justice from the party who caused the crash. Many drivers on I-76 are on their way to or from work which is a time of day that can be dangerous for a number of reasons.You Can Pursue Compensation After a Car Accident on I-76 in Colorado
You may be entitled to compensation if you were hurt in a car accident on I-76. The compensation amount you could recover depends on the specifics of your crash. Most car accident survivors can recover losses such as:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Property damage
After a fatal car accident, your family might be entitled to wrongful death damages. Colorado wrongful death cases could result in the recovery of damages such as:
- Income the decedent would have earned had they survived the accident
- Funeral and burial costs
- Surviving family members’ pain and suffering, and grief and emotional distress
- Lost benefits, such as life insurance
You must prove liability before you can recover compensation for your Colorado car accident. Because many commercial and industrial vehicles use I-76, the liable party could be:
- The cargo loading company
- A truck driver
- The truck driver’s employer
- The company responsible for the truck’s maintenance
- A landscaping company
- A construction company
Other liable parties could include:
- Drunk drivers
- Distracted drivers
- Drivers who speed or don’t adjust their speed according to the weather conditions
- Tired drivers
Your case could involve multiple parties. Our car accident I-76 attorney can list all potentially liable parties after an investigation and advise you which damages you could recover from each after investigating your case.Truck Drivers Must Follow Hours-of-Service Regulations to Prevent Accidents
Truck drivers traveling on I-76 may cause accidents when they violate Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) hours-of-service regulations. These drivers often have deadlines to meet and need to deliver cargo by a certain date.
The FMCSA sets guidelines to help prevent accidents caused by driver fatigue. Some of these guidelines include:
- Drivers carrying property can drive up to 11 hours a day after 10 consecutive hours off duty.
- Drivers must take a 30-minute break when they have driven for eight cumulative hours.
- Drivers cannot drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days.
If a truck driver violates these rules, you could hold the driver or their employer accountable for your damages.Benefits of Hiring an Attorney to Handle Your I-76 Car Accident Case
Although you can manage your I-76 car accident case independently, navigating the legal process while recovering from your injuries may be difficult. If you hire a car accident lawyer, they can handle your case.
When you hire a lawyer, they will:
- Speak to all parties involved in your case for you
- Negotiate a fair settlement
- File an insurance claim or a lawsuit on your behalf
- Collect evidence to prove liability and negligence
- Determine which damages you can recover
Most personal injury law firms also offer free consultations, so you can discuss your case for free.What to Do After a Car Accident on I-76 in Colorado
If you were involved in a collision on I-76 in Colorado, you should take the following steps:
- Call the police: Responding officers can write an accident report that you can use as evidence. They can also help you move your car to a safe location.
- Collect evidence: If your injuries allow, gather evidence at the accident scene. Useful evidence includes photos and videos of the accident and your injuries. You should also save the contact information of any witnesses.
- Avoid speaking to the other party or their insurer: You may want to discuss the crash at the accident scene with the other involved parties. However, you should avoid saying anything that can be misconstrued as you are taking the blame for the accident. Insurers may try to use your words out of context to undervalue your case. It may benefit you to allow a lawyer to handle all case communications.
- Stay off social media: You may want to log out of your social media accounts until your case is settled. The insurance company can use your posts as evidence against you. Even if you were trying to let your family and friends know you are stable, insurers may try to claim you are not as injured as you say you are.
- Seek medical attention: The sooner you seek medical attention, the sooner your injuries can be diagnosed and treated. Injuries may worsen the longer you wait to visit a doctor. Your medical records also serve as proof of your injuries.
You do not need to face the legal process alone after you suffer an injury on I-76 in Colorado. This dangerous stretch of highway sees many accidents annually. If you did not cause the collision, you may be entitled to compensation from the liable party.
Get started on your case with a free consultation today. Call Cook, Bradford & Levy, LLC, by dialing (303) 543-1000.